Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring Quilt Festival -- Chicago IL

I've spent the last couple of days attempting to sort out all of the photos I took at this very large show. Many of the quilts were in collections and as I wandered about, camera in hand, I wasn't very cognizant of that fact. Therefore, I had to spend time figuring out what quilts should be grouped together so that they could be presented to you logically.

Over the next few days, I'll post my groupings and share all those photos with you. But I can't wait that long to show this spectacular quilt that took the highest award:


"Let's All Spring Forward" by Rosalie Baker of Davenport IA -- this was the Best of Show quilt, which received a $2,500 award in the "Celebrate Spring!" competition. The red-eyed tree frogs utilized the techniques of hand applique, hand dyed fabrics, hand painting and machine quilting.



Wanted to catch up with the information on the vintage tablecloth mentioned in my last post. This quilt was displayed in the booth of Birch Creek Quilts & Embellishments of Hopkins MN. The incredibly beautiful quilting was done by Jamie Whalen, who is the Michigan Dealer of A-1 Longarm machines.

There will be an exhibit of Jamie's work at a new machine quilting show to be held August 3-7. The Milwaukee Machine Quilting Show, described as "A Great Show on a Great Lake", will be held at the Wyndham Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Convention Center in Milwaukee WI. Having seen the above example of his quilting, I am extremely jealous of those of you who get to go and see this special exhibit. For information on this new show, you can click here.



This is the booth where my friend, Patrick Grant, displayed his beautiful sewing room furniture. I hung out there most of the time, ostensibly working.....

Above are (from left) Pamella Gray of Pamella's Place, a quilt shop and Bernina dealer in Genesee Depot WI; Sarah, who works with Patrick for Unique Sewing Furniture; and Cheri, who works with Pamella and, in her spare time, runs a resort in WI. Cheri and Pam are talking about hosting a retreat at that resort to be held this fall, so stay tuned for more information on that: Rumor has it that I'll be teaching a couple of workshops at this retreat, so I'll post it as I get it.


Those are my quilts on the back wall in the picture with Pam and the crew; my little corner of the booth showcases my DVDs and next to them, the beautiful Bernina 830 in a cabinet that Patrick specially designed for this machine. The table measures 65" wide by 48" deep with the leaf extended and is perfect for quilting those big quilts! For information on Pat's furniture, you can click here.

I'm off to get my hair re-purpled -- will start posting quilts later this afternoon.....

2 comments:

  1. Cheri and I are thinking we need to make the retreat the weekend of Sept. 18th and 19th. Does that work for you? We have exciting plans and are firming up details. Let me know!
    Pamella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of these GREAT tables from Unique Sewing furniture, the one with the 4 drawers and embroidery opening that opens up to 4 feet square! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...