Friday, November 28, 2014

Taking a Break -- Weekend in San Luis Obispo

Dan and I went to the Paso Robles/San Luis Obispo area last weekend. We visited Justin Vineyards for a holiday party and then went to see my friend Janet Mease at SLO Creative Studio. I've known Janet for 8 or 9 years; she used to have a beautiful quilt shop, Shiisa Quilts, in Bloomington IN and I taught there once a year for about 5 years. Then she moved to California 3 years ago and opened the studio this year. Had to see what she was up to!

Janet has some fabric and notions in the store, but her real focus is lots of classes in sewing, quilting, garment making, etc., as well as getting people up to speed in their longarm quilting skills on the Handiquilter units she has set up.

If you're in the California central coast area, SLO Creative Studio is located at 3536 S. Higuera St., Suite 210, San Luis Obispo CA; phone 805-439-1366. You might also want to get on her e-mail list so you can keep track of all the classes and events. There's always something going on -- I'm excited that I made the event list and will be teaching there in July. To get on that e-mail list, go to Janet's website at slo-creative.com


Another good friend, Sam Hunter, had recently written this book and Janet was making some projects from it. Sam did a book signing at SLO Creative Studio a couple of weeks ago, but I was out of town so didn't get to drive up and see her. I loved what Janet was doing and really liked the book when I paged through it, so I just e-mailed Sam so I can buy my very own copy This should be fun!

We really like staying at the Embassy Suites in SLO and the really yummy breakfasts, but when we got off the elevator Sunday morning we saw the long line at the omelet station and -- not being the most patient people in the world, particularly if we're hungry -- decided to go out for breakfast. We had never been across the street to the Madonna Inn and my Open Table app said they served breakfast, so we drove over there. I know, it's about 1/4 mile, we should have walked....

The breakfast was very good, but the extra added bonus is that the cafe was all decorated for the holidays!


This was the view from our table; we were right in front of the fireplace! So pretty and romantic for a Sunday morning!


One thing that I particularly liked -- the restaurant is very PINK! Dan's holding a napkin up in front of his face...

This was sort of a restaurant week, I guess; Wednesday night we went out to Vincent Hill Station, a local railroad themed restaurant that we like a lot.


You can tell I hated the creme brulee, but I just couldn't eat two of the huge mounds of whipped cream with raspberry drizzle. Wished I had my goddaughter Destiny to help; she NEVER has any problem eating all the whipped cream on the table!


Another fireplace view (at least for me, Dan had his back to it), but he looks pretty happy after his cheesecake with even more whipped cream and raspberry sauce...

We hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you are all in a great mood to start your holiday shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...