Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year -- Football and Crab Cakes

After a totally busy year including a lot of travel, both personal and professional, I got to spend some up close time with my Brother DreamWeaver machine over the last couple of weeks. I was hoping to finish two quilts for two sisters, age 7 and 9, who I love dearly, but with life intruding was only able to finish one and get a good start on the second.

Since, however, you can't gift one sister with a quilt without another one for the other sister, I think the gifts will be given for Valentine's Day -- a worthy goal!

So here's a picture of the first one; I made this for the older sister, Sammie:


Closeups of some of the quilting:





Used all of the leftover fabrics on the back; had a lot of small pieces so it took me almost as long to piece the back as the front!


You can see the quilting better on some parts of the back:





I don't always think about posting quilts in progress; perhaps if I did, it would inspire me to finish more of them? While browsing on Pinterest the other day, I came across a blog that encouraged bloggers to take the pledge to post our progress, not just our finished work. I thought that was pretty cool and decided to do it!

The website for taking the pledge is a pretty fun site, so you might want to stop by. Web addy is: http://r0ssie.blogspot.com/2010/05/process-pledge.html?m=1 Since I don't know how to make links from the iPad, you might have to do a cut and paste thing to get there.

In the spirit of the pledge, I decided to post pictures of Lauren's quilt, safety pins and all. I haven't started to quilt it yet, but it's all pinned up and ready to go:


There weren't as many leftover pieces on this one, so the back is a little simpler:


Sammie's quilt was pieced using a pattern from P&B Textiles by Nancy Odom called "Gather Sunshine":


Lauren's was pieced from "Winter Pinwheels" designed and published by Tiffany Hayes who owns Needle In A Hayes Stack, www.needlesinahayesstack.com. Fabric for both quilts was chosen by and purchased from Dawna Harrison, co-owner of my local quilt shop, Bolts in the Bathtub, www.boltsinthebathtub.com. The three of us can make a lot of quilting happen!

Now on to the New Year's Day food! Dan and I are going to dinner at the home of Dawna and her husband Robert. Robert is making all kinds of wonderful goodies; I'm contributing the home made bread I just took out of the oven:


I bake it on a large rectangular stone right on the silicone sheet you see there to the left. It browns up really nicely and I don't have to worry about the dough sticking to the peel when I toss it onto the stone. Just slide it on, silicone and all!

The other thing I am bringing is some crab cakes that my mother sent us as a holiday gift:


Dan and I each had one last night and they were really good. I like to serve them on top of mesclun tossed with a light olive oil vinaigrette and the crab cake on top. These are large crab cakes and one per person will easily work for a first course.

Along with baking the bread, I watched quite a bit of the Rose Parade this morning -- the floats are always so beautiful! It's daunting to imagine how much work and how many man-hours go into each one...then I didn't change the channel and have been watching the Capital One Bowl between Georgia and Nebraska -- good game! Georgia's coach just got orange Gatorade poured all over him -- geez, that's got to be cold!!! The guys pour it, ice and all, you know!

Waiting for the Rose Bowl game.....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Home -- Palmdale CA

4 comments:

  1. Love it when the photos include the process....gives the total 'feel' of the project. Sometimes those deadlines/dates just have to get changed and, really, why not??!! Those quilts are so nice....thank you for sharing your talents...hugs, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing us all along the way. I love pieced backs too but just have to push my way through them sometimes, too easy to just go by straight yardage! happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design is spectacular! You obviously know how to keep a reader amused.

    -------------------------------------
    SEO Melbourne | SEO Perth | SEO Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Photos of everything gives the actual feeling of anything.

    seo india

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...