Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Couple of Piecing Projects for This Weekend


This weekend I get to sew with my friend Terry Wojciehowski. We are aiming for a weekend a month this year and so far it's worked, so we'll see how the rest of the year goes with my travel schedule and both our busy lives. Terry is coming over tomorrow afternoon and staying through Sunday, so that's not a lot of time, but we only stop sewing to eat and sleep, so manage to get quite a lot done.


Last weekend, I taught in two quilt shops in the San Diego area: Cozy Quilts and Memory Lane Quilts for the Legacy Quilt Guild. The Legacy guild had booked me for a Thursday night lecture and a Saturday Introduction to Machine Quilting workshop (held at Memory Lane) and Daniela Stout of Cozy Quilts graciously invited me to teach Machine Trapunto at her shop on Friday to fill out my schedule.


Of course, I bought things at both shops and that is what I hope to work on this weekend:

I saw a sample on the wall made from this pattern by Christina Stiasny, owner of Memory Lane Quilt Shop. I was also eyeing a line of fabric from Benartex that was conveniently displayed on a table between the classroom and the restroom!

So this is one project that I would like to work on this weekend....from left to right are my final border fabric, the stripe for the inner border, the next three in the piecing and the far right pale aqua for the background.


Cozy Quilts is known, probably world wide, for Daniela Stout's Strip Club kits, books and patterns. Every second Saturday, over one hundred quilters come to Cozy Quilts to find out what the new Strip Club pattern will be. There is kind of a teaser ahead of time in that on a shelf near the classroom there will be the bolts of fabric reserved for the following month's Strip Club subscribers. That's sort of what hooked me -- I fell in love with the fabrics reserved for April.

The above fabrics were for the March Strip Club -- somehow I got out of the store without a photo of the quilt top! The pattern is called "Shine" and here is a link to the quilt: http://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2554




I wasn't totally crazy about the border fabric, so I bought the strip set, grabbed a gold fabric out of my stash for the stars and then went to my local quilt shop, Bolts in the Bathtub, to fill out the rest. The white-on-white polka dot will be the background, the next fabric is the gold print that I pulled from the stash, the next two golds will be the setting triangles where Cozy has the greens, the pink polka dot for the inner border and the fun floral/butterfly print for the outer border. Bought the stripe because I had to have it; don't know if I'll use it as the binding (very optimistic in thinking I'll get it quilted at some point in my life) or just add it to the stash.



Here they are all together.....


So I have two things to work on; guess I'll do some rotary cutting tonight!

Cozy Quilts is located at 2940 Jamacha Road, Suite H in El Cajon CA (ph: 619-670-0652). Memory Lane Quilt Shop just moved to a brand new location at 1626 N. Magnolia Avenue in El Cajon, CA (ph: 619-562-2288).

1 comment:

  1. That is one awesome quilt and your choices will truly make it "Shine"! Can't wait to see how it progresses! I retired a year ago and my schedule is approaching "warp speed"....never would have believed it!! But, am loving all the quilting time! Hugs....Doreen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...