Monday, September 3, 2012

V-Sonic Pen Pal (Part 2)

Still having fun playing with this machine and discovering features!  One of the things that can be done with the sensor pen is indicating an end point where the machine will stop stitching before you lift your foot.  Let me walk you through that process and then some musings of mine about how to use it.....

I've chosen to demonstrate this function by sewing together two pieces of fabric that are unequal in length.  As in previous posts, I've decided on a 1/4" seam, so I have set the sew straight laser guide to 10.5, with needle position at 4.5 and the "J" foot on the machine. 

I start sewing my seam, stopping at any point where my intended end point is within the length of the laser light. 

To activate the pen, I touch the pen icon on the screen....

...then touch the last icon on the screen.  That's the icon that lets me set the point at which the machine will stop sewing.

A screen comes up instructing me to touch my desired sewing end point.

I touch the tip of the pen to the exact point where sewing should stop.  In an ideal world, the machine will slow down right before that point and then stop at the point exactly.

I can think of several uses for this "end point" function.  For piecers, it would be very handy for stopping exactly 1/4" before the end of the seam while adding borders to a quilt that will have mitered corners.  Or for stopping at the 1/4" point for set in seams, such as Y-seams.

I have also played with this using decorative stitches.  For instance, let's say you have a table runner, place mat, pillowcase or other piece where you are using a decorative stitch around the edge to form a border.  Using the end point function will actually alter the length of the stitch slightly (+ or - 10%) so that the corner turns without a pattern interruption. 

I know many of you sew other things besides quilts.  Can you think of other uses for this "end point" function?

Tomorrow I leave for a teaching trip to Dallas and San Antonio -- if you are in either area and want to hang out with me and take a class, here's a link to my schedule.  I'll be at Richland Sewing Center in Hurst TX through Thursday and then Creative Sewing Center in San Antonio Friday through Sunday.  There is also a shop hop going on in TX, so I'll be available to schmooze and demo on Sunday at Creative Sewing Center.

If you're doing the shop hop, be sure to stop in and see me!

Brother has provided me with the DreamWeaverTM XE, but all opinions expressed are entirely my own....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...