Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tanner's Quilt

I was in Auburn this past week at a retreat taught by Cindy Needham (more about that later) and was able to get together with my sister-in-law Sam, her husband Bryan, and their 4-month-old Tanner.  When Dan and I were in Banff, we bought Tanner a couple of gifts -- you can probably tell which of us bought what!


And I know you guys think I sit around eating bon bons all day, but I really have been sewing, I just couldn't show you because Sam would have seen it and it wouldn't be a surprise.  Since I don't need leftover baseball fabric and that's the theme for Tanner's bedroom, I made a pillowcase out of some of the leftovers.


This is the finished quilt; I bought the kit for the balls and bats and then added all the rest using fabric that Sam and I had picked out at Windy Moon Quilts in Reno.  Great shop, by the way, if you're in the area...


I cut a length of border fabric so that the words frame the quilt -- this is the top.  Got the cool star fabric used in the border at my local quilt shop, Bolts in the Bathtub.


Closeup of the applique part; Tanner's name is also appliqued.  I used fusible for all of this and then machine blanket stitched it down.  Used a decorative feather stitch for the red lines on the baseballs. 


Batter Up is the bottom part of the border; used the leftover for the cuff of the pillowcase. 


And here's the back -- stuck as much of the leftover fabric as I could on it so that it's fun on both sides.


We all met for dinner Saturday night at Cottonwood, a really good restaurant in Truckee.  I was in Auburn at Cindy's retreat, so it was a bit over an hour's drive up there and it was good to see everybody!

Next posts I'll be telling you about Cindy's retreat as well as my pre-retreat retreat at Sierra Stars Quilting Vacation in Truckee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...