Sunday, October 3, 2010

Driving Day -- Winston-Salem to Asheville

Driving days always give me lots of time to daydream, often with interesting scenery as inspiration. Being alone with one's thoughts give the mind freedom to wander, which isn't at all the case when we are travelling with others.

When Dan and I were in Vancouver, for instance, we had a couple of comical misunderstandings that were caused by homonyms, words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings. At one point, Dan said what sounded to me like "Korn! Korn!" I reached out and turned the volume up on the car radio, expecting to hear "Make Me Bad", "Chutes & Ladders" or another song by one of my favorite bands. He looked at me sort of oddly, said "Korn!" again and pointed past my face out the passenger side window to a corn field on my side of the road.


A couple of days after that while he was driving straight for a puddle (On purpose! To see the water splash! Do they ever grow up?) I saw some deer out the window, got all excited and yelled, "Deer! Deer!" and he thought I was yelling "Dear! Dear!" at him and couldn't figure out what in the world I was upset about. Then it was my turn to point out the window and show him what was on the side of the road....

There may be fewer misunderstandings when driving alone, but it's not nearly as much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...