Friday, July 28, 2017

Quilty Surprises!

I love subscription boxes! I've done Stitch Fix for clothes and a couple of sample beauty boxes -- those were great for snagging travel size cosmetics to take with me on my teaching trips. So of course I can't resist the allure of fabric from the latest collections, inspiring patterns and notions! I'll share with you the ones that came in recently:


Someone asked me the other day what my favorite subscription box was and my answer was the Sew Sampler from Fat Quarter Shop. It's a good mix of fabric/pattern/notions at a good price and I usually like almost everything. I think I gave away a ruler from one box and a needle keeper from another, but mostly I keep and use everything in the box.


As usual there is a card explaining what's in the box and the pattern for the basket block of the month. But a 15% coupon on Moda? Oh, yeah!!!


Here's the pattern and fabric this time. First time I've received a box where I wouldn't have purchased the fabric if I had seen it in a store. Guess I'm just not a muted blue person. This is a junior jelly roll and I'd be happy to trade for an equivalent value in fabric that is brighter in color? I know this Snowberry line is really popular so maybe one of you would love to have it and are willing to trade? I'll throw in the table runner pattern as a bonus.


Like all of the notions -- no one can ever have too many Wonder Clips or seam rippers. The little scissors are cute, too -- polka dots!!


The next box I opened was from Culcita, which means "quilt" in a language I don't speak. The Weekend Candy quilt top that I just finished was also from Culcita and used a Cotton & Steel line called "Sleep Tight".


This one features "Chroma" by Alison Glass -- "hand stamped, hand dyed, one piece at a time, so each bit of fabric is unique and different from the next, adding to the beauty of it. No two bolts are alike and cuts from one bolt will likely look different from cuts from another. Like natural leather or stone, these variations make each piece perfectly imperfect." Quote from the card accompanying the fabrics. Each Culcita shipment has 12 fat quarters of the featured fabric line.


Love the range of colors! I am definitely a "brights" person!


Found this pattern in one of the magazines that also came in recently and think that it would look great in the Chroma fabrics. It's in the October 2017 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting from Better Homes & Gardens. I like the pattern that came in the Culcita box, too; I'm a big Quilt Theory fan.


With every Culcita box there is a fortune cookie with a sewing/quilting related fortune. Dan ate the cookie, but left the fortune on the kitchen table for me.



The last box I opened was from Cotton Cuts. This used to be called Stash Builder and I think I originally found them through an article in Generation Q Magazine that was reviewing subscription fabric boxes. This is the first one I have received since the company changeover.


Three one yard cuts from the Meriweather line by Amy Gibson for Windham Fabrics were in the box plus the Super Nova Stars pattern by Krystal Jakelwicz. The card included with the shipment showed some of the other fabrics in the collection. There are a couple of text fabrics that I'd like to buy and maybe a background....

Have you purchased subscription boxes? Which ones and what are your thoughts? I love them, even knowing it's kind of a shot in the dark thing in that you don't know what you're getting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...