Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fluff & Stuff -- Las Cruces NM

Hard to believe, but this is my 200th post! Started in August 2009, I guess I have a lot to say......

Last Friday and Saturday, I taught my two day Fluff & Stuff workshop at the Bernina Sewing Center in Las Cruces. Here are some pictures from the class:

A roll of toilet paper could probably be considered an unusual prop for a discussion of whether one should use the horizontal or vertical spool pin for stacked threads. In this demonstration, I pull the paper off the side of the roll and you can see that it comes off smoothly, with no twisting.


However, when I pull upward on the paper, it twists around itself -- that is exactly what would happen to a stacked thread if you put it either on the horizontal spool pin or on a cone stand behind your machine. Kind of a graphic way to illustrate this point!



One of the rules at the Bernina Sewing Center is that when you finish your quilt, you have to bring it in and show everybody in the shop. Fortunately for us, that includes taking your quilt to the classroom and showing all of us!

Melinda Schnebly made this "Dancing Stars" quilt from a Cozy Quilts pattern -- very different from the black/white/brights version in the classroom that is hanging on the wall behind me in the TP pictures....

Everybody had a lot of fun with the freehand free motion part of the day....


Jan Herman really took to the free motion feathers....











...and holly!






There's Jan's completed feather pattern as well as some other fun things she did!



Cherry Potter played with a number of fruit designs....











...and called it "fruit salad"....






Sandy Tutor's feathers came out really nice, as well! I've just started teaching free hand feathers over the last few months and have found that people are having a lot of fun with them and that they are a real free motion confidence builder!

More on the Bernina Sewing Center and then I'll go back to my HMQS posts....

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...