Friday, August 13, 2010

Vacation, Day 6 -- Sewing on the New "Laura Ashley" Machine


On our way from our condo in Wolf Creek Village to the Nuttalls Bernina store in Ivy Place, Salt Lake City, we stopped to look at the waterfall cascading down the rocks at the side of the road. We had been watching it all week, each day more water was coming down as the snowmelt makes its way down through the mountains.


The first thing I did in the shop was to sit down in front of the new Laura Ashley machine, which is in the Innovis line manufactured by Brother.










I liked the pink flowers on the face of it! And the large, easy-to-use touch screen.



It was easy to change the presser feet and the screen made it visually pretty simple to figure out the appropriate ways to select the stitches that I use when I stitch in the ditch, applique and do free motion. I tried a few threads and there were no particular tension surprises, which I count as a good thing!



It was fun playing and I pretty much did that until lunch; I'm also pretty impressed with the feet and accessories that come with this machine. Along with the normal sewing feet, there are presser feet specifically for quilters: three free motion feet, a quarter inch piecing foot, a walking foot and a large extension table are all included. For those who like to work with decorative stitches, there are 430 built in plus another 30 on CD. It represents a lot of goodies for the money.



The rest of the day was spent working with Eric Lopez and Denise Gattinella on some embroidery designs for a future class. Now I have a couple of designs on my embroidery memory stick that I can practice on at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...