Saturday, September 16, 2017

Observing National Jelly Roll Day

Have you seen all the sales at your local quilt store as well as online? They're all featuring jelly rolls because it is National Jelly Roll Day! So to participate in this venerated holiday, I pulled out a project that I started in January at the Pieceful Hearts Quilters Guild retreat in South Carolina. I had purchased all the fabric at Spool when I taught there a year or so ago and got all of the 6" blocks sewn at the retreat.


The pattern is Paper Pinwheels from the September/October 2015 issue of Fons & Porter's Quilting Quickly. The pattern calls for 70 strips of the background fabric, making a quilt that finishes at 60"x84" and has no borders. I chose to make 80 blocks using only one jelly roll of the background, Modern Background Paper from Zen Chic for Moda. My quilt will finish at 48"x60" before borders. The pinwheels are a turquoise grunge, also from Moda.


This is what it looks like now after a couple of hours of laying out the blocks and sewing.


I think an inner border of the turquoise grunge fabric followed by the final border with the superheroine fabric -- all girls! -- will be perfect, although I don't know how wide I want them yet. When I bought these, I was thinking that newspaper prints plus comics would be a winning combo.
What do you think? And shouldn't the binding be turquoise?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes! to the comics to go with the newspaper fabric! Nice, fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your thoughts about border width measurements? 1" turquoise, 5" Wonder Woman? I just can't decide!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...