Saturday, January 16, 2010

Don't You Love It When Your Friends' Quilts Win Awards?

Every year I really look forward to attending the Road to California show because the quilts are always so spectacular. This year was no exception, so this morning I got up early and went over to the Convention Center to gaze at, drool over and photograph some of the beautiful quilts on display. I have attended Road, either as a teacher or a spectator, just about every year since the beginning and I believe that the quality of the quilts has improved each year.

Couldn't dawdle over the quilts because I really did have a class to teach today, but I did take quite a few photographs that I will sort through and get posted this next week. But I want to take the time tonight to congratulate my friend Sue Jacobsen on her award winning entry.



"Trails in Blue" was pieced and quilted by Sue Jacobsen (Lancaster CA). The first thing that caught my attention about the quilt was the detailed trapunto quilting, then I noticed that the white background fabric was glittery and sparkled in the light -- great quilting and sparklies, what's not to like?

Sue started quilting a few years ago because of her friendship with Carol Tarras, who is dear to both our hearts. Since retiring, Sue has been putting a lot of time into her craft and the results certainly show!



A couple of close-ups of the quilting....



















And a great big ribbon for Best Quilt From a First Time Entrant -- Congratulations, Sue!!!


And to make another great day at the quilt show even better, look what I saw when I took a load of "stuff" to my car....
WOW -- it's no wonder that so many artists get their inspiration from Mother Nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...