Tuesday, January 19, 2010

More Quilt Pictures from Road to California

There were so many beautiful quilts at Road to California that I will probably be posting them every day for the rest of the week. I have highlighted in bold type the category in which each quilt was entered and the artist's statement is in quotes.



Innovative Mixed: "Wings & Feathers" made and quilted by Mark Sherman (Coral Springs FL). "Turned edge machine applique. Machine pieced, long arm quilted (original quilting patterns), machine trapunto. All hand dyed fabrics, hand marbled, shibori fabric including the quilt back by artist. Over 3,000 hours to complete."



The picture on the left really shows the embellishments and the color of the fabric, but not the quilting.















So I took another picture with the flash turned off; shows the quilting, but somewhat distorts the colors. Is this quilting amazing, or what????





Traditional Pieced: "Jaydem's Star" made and quilted by Sharon Mominee (Alpine CA). "After the loss of a loved one, I found that piecing this star consumed my concentration and turned out to be the best therapy. As I moved into the quilting, I decided to make it a tribute quilt as thanks for our 15 years with Jaydem."



A close-up of the exquisite machine quilting....


Traditional Mixed: "Sugar Plum Snowflake" made and quilted by Sonia L. Kobylarz (Farmington PA). "Designed to comprise piecing, applique, embroidery and quilting designs. I enjoyed seeing this quilt come to life, especially with the quilting."


The hand quilting is beautiful -- this quilt took a blue ribbon in its category.



Traditional Mixed: "Nature - Don't Let Them Disappear" made by Sandy Turner and quilted by June Hollister (Santa Maria CA). "How many of us buy the wonderful animal prints and then don't know what to do with them? The traditional courthouse step log cabin was my canvas. The tiger lilies just seemed right. Can y0u find the lion and the giraffe in the quilting?"




A close-up of one of the tiger lilies and a closer look at the courthouse steps piecing....



















Innovative Mixed: "Hell Freezes Over: made by Claudia Clark Myers and Marilyn Badger and quilted by Marilyn Badger (Duluth MN). "When I drafted this funky version of a machine-appliqued Feathered Star, it looked sort of like flames, so I added paper-pieced ice for balance. Marilyn fused the sheer icicles on and machine quilted the flames and ice. My husband named the quilt."

This quilt took a second place ribbon in its category. Marilyn's quilting is so detailed in every quilt that I see of hers -- and I see so many -- I marvel at her productivity!



A closer look at the quilting and embellishment....



Art Naturescape: "Silverlight" made and quilted by Betty Busby (Albuquerque NM). "This work is an examination of reflected light. The moon reflects light from the sun, which turns all that it touches silvery."



Another look at the detail in this quilt -- the quilting in the leaves and tree trunks is especially pretty.

Until next post......

2 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you! I didn't make it to Road this year, and had heard only the most general descriptions. Also, some friends and I were talking today about trying to do our own machine quilting (urgh), and these pictures certainly provide inspiration. They show good quilting does more than hold the quilt together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting a picture of my quilt, Wings and Feathers. I attended the show and there was certainly many beautiful quilts to see! It was worth the trip from Florida. All the best to you and yours!

    Mark Sherman

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...