Friday, October 9, 2009

Bernina Sewing Center -- Greenville SC

Wednesday afternoon was a pretty quick drive from Asheville NC to Greenville SC; it's about 55 miles of really pretty country and took a touch over an hour. I would have gotten there sooner except that I had to keep running back into Robin's store because I would notice something else I had forgotten -- my phone on the charger, my laptop bag -- you know, essential stuff!

It seemed like every time I would start to gather all of my worldly possessions in one place, I would be distracted by something else I hadn't seen yet. I hear people laugh about being ADD, but I am starting to wonder.....


So right around 5:45, the Land Behemoth rolled into the parking lot at Bernina Sewing Center. The sun was still out and it was a pretty, sunny day. Owner Mary Reeves came out to give me a warm welcome and helped me haul in my suitcases full of quilts for the trunk show. Altogether the lecture and trunk show lasted about two hours and then I stood around talking with some of the people for a bit longer, so I probably left around 9 for the hotel.

One of the ladies who had been to the lecture, Lou Rainey, was really good about giving directions to people who aren't familiar with the area -- very much appreciated that help!


Next morning I got to the shop around 9; I really liked this display in the window -- a little fabric, a book that makes you think of fall, an embroidered purse....




You don't have to take too many steps into the store to find beautiful fabrics for both garments and quilts and lots of samples of children's clothes......

















These are for the even younger set -- toddlers, infants and christening gowns -- displayed with ribbons and trims.


This quilt is a fundraiser for a local charity. Mary explained it all to me and all of us in class bought chances. The drawing will be next week -- keeping fingers crossed!


Mary and I obviously both got the black and white dress code memo, but her beads are not only prettier than mine, they're even hanging straight! And, of course, we had to stand right in front of the quilt that coordinated with our wardrobe choices...

Had a super dinner invitation that I just couldn't resist; Lou Rainey had invited me to dinner at a private dining club in Greenville called Poinsett Club. We had she-crab soup, salad, sea bass and crab cakes with a corn flan and sauteed Swiss chard. The soup was absolutely to die for and we even had more of the same soup thickened into a sauce and served with the crab cakes.

So if we had to guess one major reason why I LOVE traveling to the South -- could it possibly be the food???? Thank you, Lou!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...