Tuesday, October 27, 2009

North Cities Quilt Guild -- Placentia CA (Part 1)

After a two hour drive and a short time getting settled into my room at the Embassy Suites in Brea, I met the board for dinner at the Marie Callender's right down the street from the church where the meeting was going to be held. Since I can get lost in a round room (even with a GPS, it seems), I asked Phyllis, the program VP, if I could follow her over.



Well, you know you're going to a fun quilting place if the person you're following is driving this car, right?

Once we got to the church, I unloaded the suitcases from the car to the church to the table where the quilts would reside until my talk, and then took a walk around the room as everyone was setting up for business....



There was a lot of folding going on here -- they called it the "crafts table"! Folding, rolling, filling those yummy baskets....
















Block of the Month is always a big favorite -- for October we had cat blocks and November was leaves. Had to take a closeup of the bat-fabric cat, of course!






















One of the raffles -- there seemed to be several going on -- this one for a whole basket of fat quarters....


This raffle was for different items -- one was a table runner by the gentleman at the table. Phyllis told me that he was not only a terrific quilter but his "day job" was teaching special eds to 3 year olds! I'm convinced there is a special place in Heaven for people like him!

When they showed his donated quilt, Phyllis said (loudly!) "I hope I won", to which he responded, "You did!" So of course she let out a whoop and ran up to the front to grab it!!!
Here's the guild library -- lots of books and magazines to go through and even a nice store-style rack...



The guild is very proud of the number of charity quilts they make each year and rightly so! One of the events at the meeting was a presentation by H.I.S. House, a local charity that is run by the church where the guild meetings are held. The director of the charity did a PowerPoint about the house, telling about the people who lived there and the various services that were provided to help them get back on their feet.

After she finished, president Mary Lou Ripper presented her with a check from the guild to H.I.S. House for $1,000!!!

Next post -- Show & Tell pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...