Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Got the "Tinkerbell" Stuff -- Sort Of....


Dawna at Bolts in the Bathtub pretty much keeps me up to date on what's new and coming into the store. For a few weeks now, she has been telling me that there was Tinkerbell fabric on order and she would let me know when it arrived -- lots of little girls, and some little boys, like Tinkerbell, but I've just never seemed to grow out of my fascination with the conniving little pixie!



While Dawna is good at keeping me up to date, she rarely calls and says, "I know you're going to like this -- you'd better get in here and buy it while it's still here!" So when she does make that call, I get my butt into the store! I went in yesterday and looked at the Disney panels and coordinates; there are three -- Tinkerbell, Pinocchio and Snow White -- and a quilt pattern for each.

Of course, I had to be a major pain in Dawna's neck; I looked at the fabrics, but couldn't really decide what, if anything, I wanted to do. The problem was that I liked the Tinkerbell fabrics and the Snow White pattern, so I went home and thought about it, then called back this morning asking if she could make a kit for the piecing pattern I liked, utilizing the fabrics that coordinated with the Tinkerbell panel.



That meant that she had to substitute out each and every one of the coordinates for this 48"x56" quilt, keep track of them all and cut and label the correct amounts so that I could make exactly what I wanted! Is this good customer service, or what? I expect a major eye roll from Dawna when she reads this...



Here are the piecing fabrics that she chose...



Then when I came in this afternoon, I chose one of the fabrics for the backing and a blue and yellow stripe she had in stock for the binding.



Here's a picture of the pattern, "Snow White Discovers the Cottage" Quilt, from David Textiles, Inc. The patterns and fabrics for all three of the quilts are part of The Disney Dreams Collection with original art by Thomas Kinkade.

The pattern is labelled with a skill level of Intermediate, so I can handle that. I've read through the directions, which look pretty straightforward. The only adjustment that may be needed to the original pattern is that the four snowball blocks in the corners are cut 8-1/2" square. If I do that, I will lose Peter Pan's arms or feet in one snowball and either part of Wendy or part of her little brother Michael in another -- YIKES!

Some thought may have to be given to this dilemma.......




2 comments:

  1. who said you have to follow the directions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think the fix will be pretty simple; a 1" strip on either side of the pieced block, possibly of the background fabric, will look pretty good and avoid mutilation of the characters...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...