Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tinkerbell Quilt -- Piecing the Blocks




Here are 96 half-square triangles that sew up 1" finished -- I think I don't do small really well, but here goes!



Got 'em done -- here's the block layout, all on the mat that I can just take to the machine.



One finished block -- seven to go!



The pin marks the place where the diagonals don't match up; with a strong color like the yellow solid contrasting with the darker blue print, these "misses" really show up.

Obviously, just pinning where I think the seams will match up isn't working! I'm thinking that basting the seam first, then adjusting, then sewing might work. What have you tried to get your diagonals accurate? Do you have advice for me on piecing this type of seam?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a clue how to help you! I came over after reading your post on Facebook. How in the world do you sew that small of pieces? My machine EATS them that small! Looks like it is going to be beautiful. Make sure you post when you get finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting with a "leader" really helps prevent the eating thing, but it does take a bit of patience as there isn't much to grab on to, so they are harder to control. I guess people wanting to see it done is a good incentive to finish, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...